Tuesday, December 28, 2010

what's in a name?

So, you may be wondering about the name of this blog, Just a minute. I was trying to come up with a creative name and nothing came to mind. My mind kept wandering back to the phrase I say at least 100 times a day, "Just a minute..."
If my son or husband had a penny for every time I said, "Just a minute..." they'd both be rich by now.

Husband: Can you come here?
Me: Just a minute...

Son: Mommy, I need more orange juice.

Me: Just a minute...

(I even say it to the dog...sigh...)
Dog: whining at the back door
Me: Just a minute...

It bothers me that I say this phrase so often in a day. And lately I've been thinking of ways to re-frame the phrase -

Just a minute...

*to take a breath...
*to enjoy the moment...
*to hug my child...
*to cool-off when angry...(yes, I get angry)
*to relax at the end of the day...
*to really stop and listen to my son, my husband, my family, my friends...

*to listen to my inner self...

Maybe my over-use of the this phrase is my inner self reminding me to stop, and take just a minute to think about what I'm doing or saying or thinking or feeling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you! I must say that phrase a million times a day, but I really like how you have turned it around with a positive spin!