Monday, September 5, 2011

a story.

gazing


Her life was a chapter in the story of my life, and many others.

There are so many stories to tell about her...
Defiantly peeing on the carpet to show me she was boss the first time I dog-sat for my husband (we were dating at the time.)
Jumping the fence, running into the neighbor's house and chasing the cat.
Running so many circles in the backyard she created her own "track" which my husband tried to rope-off so the grass could have a chance to grow back.
Bolting out the door anytime she got the chance...leaving us to chase after her.
Wearing "booties" at my in-law's house so she wouldn't scratch the floor (yeah, they didn't stay on long.)
Hiding bagels in the couch, eating batches of chocolate chip cookies, chicken bones, and a whole bag of Hershey Kisses - foil and all.
Chasing squirrels and bunnies.
Going for long runs.
Trips to Doggie Disneyland (aka the dog park.)
Running and running and running at the beach.
Curling up in a "Maggie ball" on the couch.
Curling up with me in bed and keeping me warm when I had the flu and a high fever, and Eric was out of town.
Guarding when her master was out of town.
Waking-up early with Eric and staying-up late with me.
Listening to bedtime stories in Max's room.
Stealing Max's food off the table.
Rides with me in my little red Civic with the windows down. Just us girls.
Muddy paws tracking dirt in the house.
Nervously enduring Independence Day fireworks.
Quietly accepting Max as one of the "pack" when we brought him home from the hospital.
Always loving, wanting nothing more than to be with the people who loved her, who gave her loves and hugs and kisses and treats.

She was a long, ten year chapter in the 38 year-old story of my life.
A chapter full of fun and adventure and craziness and lots of love.
A chapter I am so lucky to have shared with her.

{For the Shutter Sisters One Word Project: Story. Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?}

8 comments:

Marvett Smith said...

What a great story! You were so blessed to have her in your life!

Kristin said...

What a wonderful and beautiful post and I just love that picture! it captures her perfectly. she seemed so wonderful!!

Wendy said...

What a wonderful story and tribute to her, A. It sounds like she was quite the lady.

Karli @ The Bonnie 5 said...

This is beautiful! Your words brought TEARS to my eyes. Just lovely... (loved the part about hiding bagels in the couch). So sweet that you documented all the little things you loved about her.

urban muser said...

what a beautiful tribute to maggie. it made me a little teary.

Meisg said...

miss my girl :(

stacey said...

hugs

Anonymous said...

Oh Maggie. And Andrea. What a beautiful photo and lovley words. You know that my heart aches for you and the absence she's left. I'm praying that you still feel her love in your life even if she's not physically there. Such a beautiful pup.