Tuesday, March 8, 2011

ten minutes.

I awoke to a little hand tapping me on the arm. This is how he wakes me in the middle of the night.
I know the drill - get up, grab my pillow, and follow him back to his room.
I crawled into bed, got settled and looked at the clock.
3:18 am.
And then a little voice said, "Would you like to snuggle with me?"
I couldn't help but smile as Max hugged me and wrapped an arm around my neck, snuggling close.
We laid there for awhile. I turned over to see his cute face and I wrapped my arm around him, and he wrapped his arm around me.
And as quickly as it had happened, he said, "I think I'm done snuggling."
I gave him a kiss, rolled over to the side I like to sleep on and glanced at the clock.
3:28 am.

Ten minutes.

The best ten minutes I've ever experienced at 3 in the morning. And it totally, utterly, completely makes-up for all the nights spent sleeping on the floor of his room before he had his big boy bed.
Perhaps the best ten minutes I've experienced in the past year.
Yes, it was that heart-melting. It was just what I needed.
I wish I had a great photo of this moment to go with this post, but better than a picture - I have that experience in my heart and soul now.

Sometimes ten minutes is all you need.

4 comments:

stacey said...

I love this post, Andrea. So incredibly sweet and real. My daughter often asks me to snuggle and I've been trying to take advantage of those times, even if there are a million other things that I need to do. B/c like with your son, they are usually short lived, but those times are the most special times.

Lisa McCully said...

Adorable!! Thanks for visiting my site :) You are welcome anytime!!

Amy @ Lucky Number 13 said...

so, so true. sometimes it is more than enough, i love this!

Anonymous said...

I love this!!! I know exactly how you feel. My son's 2 and can't talk as much but my fav is when right before bed he begs for hugs. :)
http://dropsofmotherhood.blogspot.com